Emmett Frantz

Emmett Frantz
    Ripcho Studios

Sophomore Emmett Frantz is an exceptional student here at Lakewood High School.  Emmett is a two-sport athlete playing both soccer in the fall and baseball in the spring.  Emmett works hard on and off the field while achieving amazing grades in the classroom.

Q: How has COVID affected your sports seasons this year?

A: “So far this year COVID has affected both sports I play. It has made us stay apart and has pushed us away from bonding together as a team as much as we have in the past. It also not only made us have fewer practices and gatherings but it has ruined entire seasons of other schools. We were lucky enough to have a full season of soccer and hopefully a full season of baseball so I guess it could be a lot worse.”

Q: Would you recommend either baseball or soccer for students in need of a sport to play?

A: “I would definitely recommend baseball to upcoming freshmen who want to play a sport. Baseball is a lot more relaxing and less competitive than soccer but the only downside is the fact that you won’t get as fit. Of course, if you are just playing a sport to play a sport then that shouldn’t be a factor. Also, Baseball doesn’t feel like a job the way soccer does. Getting up for soccer every morning felt like a full-time job but when baseball practices started, they felt like free time.”

Q: How has the transition back to full-time school been?

A: “The transition back to school full time, has been more beneficial than not. It has made me get my work done more on time than before because when I am in school, I feel like I should be doing work but when I’m at home, it was hard for me to push myself when I had so many distractions. The other thing I like about it is that I get to see everyone who I couldn’t see for almost a year and that just makes me happy.”

Q: Is it hard to keep up with school during your sports season?

A: “I believe that having a sport or a job while in school is better than without one. The main reason for this is because when a human has something to do, they generally get in the mood to be more productive. For example, the only reason I ever set my bed is so that I can start off my day feeling productive and in the mood to get other things done.”

Q: What is your favorite Lakewood High School memory so far?

A: “My favorite Lakewood High School memory was probably just making the JV team as a freshman for baseball. Nothing exciting has happened so far in my high school career mostly because of covid but also I am a very average human being. I felt proud making JV since 5 other freshmen made JV out of like 14. Even though we didn’t actually play any games as a team, it was still an accomplishment I won’t forget.”

Q: What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

A: “In my free time, I like to play outside and play video games or watch movies with my family. When I’m outside I like to play baseball or football with one group of friends. With my other group, we play games more like spikeball and can jam, Also, walking or driving around at night is one of my favorite things to do with a smaller group of people.”