MILES Program Meets the Browns

Lakewood High School is fortunate enough to have the resources, teachers, and programs to accommodate students with disabilities. In addition, the school district can provide them with special activities beyond just learning. According to the Special Olympics website, “The Special Olympics work hard to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills, and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the community”. The MILES students at Lakewood High School are given the opportunity to participate in this. 

In previous weeks, Lakewood High School students have traveled to various schools to take part in flag football tournaments. On Tuesday, the MILES Program traveled to Force Sports with other local schools including Max Hayes, Avon, John Marshall, Lincoln West, and Olmsted Falls. This event was particularly special because players from the Cleveland Browns football team made an appearance. The students were able to interact, take pictures, and play with the players. This was a very special moment for all students involved. 

Volunteer and Lakewood High School senior, Ellie Justus, states, “This experience was amazing to see the special needs students have fun playing football. You could tell that the students had a great time taking a break from school.” 

In future weeks, the MILES students will also be participating in kickball, cornhole, and basketball. These events are so much fun for the students and we hope that Lakewood can continue to provide the students with these memorable experiences.