West Shore Applications

West Shore Applications

Ready to learn about a career path you’re interested in? Perfect! Lakewood High School has you covered. West Shore is an organization that focuses on introducing career paths to students who have an interest in the field.  West Shore classes are offered mostly to juniors and seniors at Lakewood High School, Rocky River High School, Westlake High School, and Bay Village High School. Mrs. Crislip, from Lakewood High School, says “Applications are due Friday. West Shore career technical program houses schools from Bay Village, Westlake, and Rocky River. Lakewood students get the benefit of being already here and just going to the West Shore programs, where Bay Village, Westlake, and Rocky River get bused. West Shore sets you up for your future and gives you an idea of what you could do after college. Some programs give you college credit.” 

West Shore offers 13 different courses in varying types of professions. 11 out of the 13 classes are two-year courses and offered exclusively to juniors and seniors—interesting enough, the Electronic Engineering Technology gives the option for a three-year course, meaning students can enroll in that West Shore class their freshman year to take their sophomore year. The other class offered to more than just juniors and seniors is Project Lead the Way (PLTW). Engineering Technology is offered to students for all four of their highschool years. The other 11 courses offered by West Shore to juniors and seniors include Automotive Technology, Business Management, Construction Trades, Culinary Arts, Media Art & Design, Medical Professions, Networking with Cybersecurity, Nursing Foundations, Sports & Exercise Science, Teacher Education & Children’s Health (T.E.A.C.H.), and the Theatre Arts. 

These classes are more than just having students accomplish classwork; they also train students to work effectively in the workforce in their respective fields. For example, senior students in the Construction Trades program will be offered the opportunity to build a home. Most of these classes will take more than one period out of a student’s school day, but will be based on which West Shore program students will choose. Some programs will also be able to offer an advantage to the students participating in them as they can secure students college credit! 

“Apply now for a West Shore program! Youll learn more skills and graduate with a clearer understanding of a college or career bath to success.” says West Shore professional Ms. Schwark. Applications are due Friday, March 1. Students can learn more about West Shore at http://tinyurl.com/westshorelearnmore, and they can apply at http://tinyurl.com/wsapply