Favorite Restaurants of 2023

Lakewood receives praise for its beautiful homes, but Lakewood also has amazing restaurants as well. Lakewood High School students responded to a survey asking the simple question: “What was your favorite restaurant from 2023?” 

After the poll, which consisted of 256 responses, students’ main choices were Angelo’s Pizza and Cozumel, with 44 students choosing Cozumel and 43 choosing Angelo’s. Both restaurants have fascinating backgrounds as they opened around the same time, with Angelo’s opening in 1981’ and Cozumel opening in ‘94. 

Tom Kess, the owner of Angelo’s, bought the restaurant when it was simply an old and run-down pizza shop. Kess’s story of opening the restaurant is truly a story for the books as he often struggled in the beginning and wanted to give up. He says “As much as I wanted to give up, there was something inside me telling me to keep going. Today, Angelo’s Pizza is one of the most successful independent pizzerias in the United States.”

Lakewood High School students chose both local restaurants to Lakewood and chain restaurants, with the second, third, and fourth place spots going to Barrio, The Place to Be, and Winking Lizard. 

Barrio, established in 2012 in Tremont, Ohio, has been voted as one of the top 10 tacos stands in the United States for their great Mexican food and a vast selection of alcohol. 

Voted fourth place by LHS students, The Place to Be, located on Warren Road, receives four stars on Yelp for their breakfast and lunches. 

The fifth favorite restaurant of LHS students is Winking Lizard Tavern, which serves wings, pizza, burgers, ribs and more, which you can snack on as you sit and enjoy your favorite sports games.  

Be sure to check out these restaurants if you have never been before, and make another visit if you have!