Player Profile: Annette Doren and the Hockey Team

Lakewood High School gives its students the opportunity to participate in a wide range of activities that do not follow typical stereotypes. Specifically, the Lakewood Ice Hockey team. This team is welcoming to both boys and girls interested in playing hockey. Lakewood High School Alum Abby Tuleta played on the hockey team and current Senior Annette Doren is excited to be a part of the season’s team.

The Lakewood Times was given the opportunity to sit down with Annette and discuss her previous hockey experience as well as her participation on the high school team. Doren grew up playing hockey; she and her brother both played hockey and would spend winters outside on their homemade ice hockey rink. Her dad was her coach for much of her earlier career on a variety of different teams. As her skills improved Annette played with the popular ice hockey club in the Northeast Ohio area called The Barons. On this team, she traveled all over the country to play in ice hockey tournaments attaining great success with her teammates. Unfortunately, due to other conflicting commitments, Annette was unable to continue playing for the Barons after her sophomore year of high school. 

Fast forward to her senior year, she decided to hop back on the ice, this time playing for her high school team. Annette explains, “Hockey has been such a huge part of my life, I felt that I would regret not representing my high school team.” She also adds, “So far we have only had 2 scrimmages but the team has played very well. We won our contest against Westlake and tied with Normandy.” When discussing her role as the only girl on the team she proudly states, “It is obvious that I am the only girl on the team but I feel like the rest of the team, my friends, and other classmates have shown me so much support that has helped me get on the ice with confidence”. 

The ice hockey team plays their first official game on Saturday, Nov. 19 at 7 p.m. Come cheer on Annette Doren and the rest of the team at Winterhurst Ice Rink in Lakewood!