All About Cornhole Club

One of the boards used during Cornhole Club.
Ethan C

With the Cornhole Club started meeting last week, you may be wondering what it is. It is a newer club at Lakewood High started last school year by math teacher John Burgess. Burgess said “Last year, I had a couple students approach me to be the Cornhole Club advisor. I was fortunate to get a grant from Student Council so I could get West Shore to build me some cornhole boards and some cornhole bags. So we have four sets of boards and bags ready to go.”

Cornhole is a game played with two angled boards in which players or teams take turns throwing bean bags at the board with a hole in its far end. The goal of the game is to score points by either getting a bag to stay on the board (one point) or getting a bag through the hole (three points). This game is very popular throughout North America which is why this club was made for this popular game. 

Over the years, what began as a casual pastime has grown into a dedicated community of cornhole players. The Cornhole Club is a group that comes together once per month to share their love for the game, socialize, and compete in tournaments. These clubs have sprung up in various regions across the country, each with its unique character and culture.

What can students expect from the Cornhole Club?  “Playing Cornhole…We keep it simple. And most of us are not that good, so if you want to come and learn and practice, that is fine as well,” said Burgess.  If you are interested in joining the club, Burgess said “We are meeting three more times this semester and dates are posted outside my door. Also, dates will be announced on Ranger Rundown and the daily announcements. We meet right after school in the cafeteria and normally stay until 4-4:15 p.m.” Second semester dates are not set yet.

This club meets once a month on Tuesdays but already had their October meeting, so you can check Burgess’s door outside of his classroom for when their November meeting will be! If you enjoy cornhole, join this club!