Cleveland’s Playhouse Square: Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein

A Tale Brought to Life
Clevelands Playhouse Square: Mary Shelleys Frankenstein
Michael Barakiva

A story that originates from 1816 Switzerland, starting with a young teenage girl named Mary Shelley dared to write a terrifying tale. She casts her friends as characters in a story of adventure and creates one of the most famous monsters “Frankenstein.” Her work is well-known globally and Frankenstein continues to make a return every Halloween as he is a staple for Halloween “monsters.” There have been Frankenstein movies, books, shows  and of course, plays. A production of Frankenstein is coming to Cleveland! This adaptation of Mary Shelley’s literature is filled with romance, violence, horror  and action, ultimately bringing her work back to life in the theatrical world.  

Frankenstein is being shown at Outcalt Theatre from Oct. 21. to Nov. 12. This show is written by David Catlin and directed by Michael Barakiva. The run time is just about two hours and 20 minutes, including a single intermission. However, there are a few advisories for this show. Most of these advisories consist of sexual intimacy and horror. Ticket prices for this show range from $30 to $68 for seats closer to the performance. 

The writer of the play, David Catlin, is a founding ensemble member of the LookingGlass Theatre Company. This was the recipient of the 2011 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre and the 2016 MacArthur Foundation Award for Creative and Effective Institutions. Although this play is a little late to the game, it is well worth the wait.