The Scarecrows of Madison Avenue

Photo from Lakewood Kiwanis Foundation
Photo from Lakewood Kiwanis Foundation

As the days of October pass, the scarecrow festival on Madison Avenue is coming around! Restaurants and stores will be making and displaying amazing scarecrows for everyone to see. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020, the festival is no longer sponsored, but many people still participate to show off their scarecrows just for the fun of it!

The scarecrow festival began in 2013 as a fundraiser started up by the Lakewood Kiwanis with Uptown Lakewood. An email from Nancy Nicholas Andrade, who was a judge for the event several times, had stated that “Lakewood Kiwanis member Dede Gold was the driving force, seeing the event in other cities during her travels of the country.” They had a great number of participants, including families and businesses, who had gotten awards and certificates over the years. They had garnered quite a few sponsors as well, even after Uptown Lakewood had left the festival to the Lakewood Kiwanis. It was a grand October event!

The scarecrow festival has always been full of fun. Even the past-president of the club stated in her own words that “The scarecrow festival was a lot of fun, and the imagination and creation of scarecrows was fantastic,” so if you like art or you’re creative with art then this festival is just your thing. 

If you have any questions, or want to learn more about the festival, email Nancy Andrad! You can also find more information on this website!