Romeo and Juliet Review

Romeo and Juliet is a classic play that everyone should see. The basics of the story are well-known but Lakewood High School finally brought it to life! After months of practice and perfecting, you can tell that hard work and dedication was put in, from the backdrops to the costumes, and to the amount of rehearsal hours it takes to finally get all the lines down.

This play was very inexpensive to see and was worth it. Student admission was $5 while general admission was $8. This play took place in our very own Black Box Theater and ran from Nov. 9-11. Ticket sales are very important and help keep the Barnstormers program running.

Thursday, Nov. 9 was the opening night for the cast to show off their hard work in creating an amazing soundtrack, beautiful set and light work, and an amazing bond of the cast to bring the whole performance together. The leading roles were performed by Ursula Rosen as Juliet Capulet and Emily Jarecke as Romeo Montague. Both had amazing line work and the emotion to pull their characters together, making the on-set chemistry a beautiful masterpiece.

The duo of Mercutio, casted as Auggie Nieves Bucey, and Benvolio, casted as Edie Barcelona, played a humorous favorite to the audience, as Mercutio and Benvolio worked together to be the devil and angel on the shoulder of Romeo. The crazed character of the Nurse, performed by Ceci Whiteamire, gave the play levity. The clashing houses of Capulet and Montague were beautifully performed by our classmates of Lakewood High School like a real Broadway performance, earning the applause of the audience. Thank you to the cast and crew of Romeo and Juliet for a captivating night; you wouldn’t have wanted to miss it!