Lakewood Football 2023 Update

The Lakewood Rangers kick off their season with two wins against John Marshall and Clearview.
Lakewood Football 2023 Update
Alex Belisle

The Lakewood Ranger football team kicked off the 2023 season with two amazing wins, the first against John Marshall on Aug. 18 and then Clearview on Aug. 25. They continued the season with two losses, against Kent Roosevelt on Sept. 1 and Rocky River on Sept. 9, but are hopeful to resume their winning streak at the upcoming game against Elyria Catholic.

The Lakewood Rangers took a sweeping victory against John Marshall, leading with a score of 48-12. Then the Clearview game had everyone on their toes, with the Rangers snagging the win with a score of 41-40. The student section brought that energy. Senior David Burns says “It is always awesome even if we lose. I think Lakewood has the best student section in northeast Ohio.” 

While the Rangers put up a tough fight at the game against Kent, they lost with a score of 10-7. They struggled more against Rocky River with a final score of 46-14, but attempted a comeback by scoring two touchdowns in the third quarter. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough to beat the Pirates.

When asked about the previous losses, junior Ahmed Masalmeh said “It was just a mental mistake; hopefully we can get better this week and bring a win for our Rangers.” He then reassured fans, stating “You know, we are really pumped up; hopefully we can pull a forty on them and bring a win home.”

The team has high hopes of winning this Friday, Sept. 15, but we need our Ranger fans to get out there tonight to the Lakewood home stadium and support our players! We’ll see you there.