Winters Sports Are Coming To An End

Winters Sports Are Coming To An End

As March is soon to be approaching, Winter sports are coming to an end and spring sports will be starting up soon. All of the Lakewood sports teams have shown great effort throughout this season and it has shown as various successes have resulted.

The Lakewood Girl’s Basketball Team have brought home many wins this season, as they ended with a winning record. But the Lady Rangers did not stop there, as they continued their success throughout postseason. The team started off postseason by playing Normandy– and beat them by an astounishing 22 points. Then the Rangers were off to face the Magnificat Blue Streaks to clench a spot in the OHSAA District Finals. It was going to be a tough battle, but that did not stop our Lady Rangers. The team won, with a final score of 47-36. Now the Girl’s Basketball Team is off to face Medina on Thursday, March 2, in hope to become District Champions.

Another great season happened for both our Boys and Girls Swimming and Diving Team. Many of Lakewood’s events placed within the SWC and qualified for districts. The lakewood district team consisted of 12 swimmers and 2 divers. Lakewood stayed strong through districts as many records were broken. Senior Kelley Reis started of districts with 2 new school records of 57.11 in her 100 fly and a 57.22 in her 100 back. But 2 addiontial records were broken in the girls and boys 200 free relay. Junior Maggie Mchugh and Seniors Emma Bressler, Julia Neff, and Kelley Reis all swam fast in the girls relay, and had a time of 1:42.30, while Junior Colman McGuan and Seniors Preston Polen, Evan Gainous, and Nick Ferrone had a time of 1:31.07. Districts was a success for Rangers, but it did not stop for senior Kelley Reis as she qualified for states in both the 100 back and 100 fly. During her Race for state competition, Reis rebroke her record two more times and placed 11th and 21st in the state.

These are just some of the successes shown throughout some Lakewood’s Winter Sports Teams. The gymnastics, hockey, wresting, indoor track and boys basketball team have all played hard within the past few months and have recieved positive results– leaving LHS thrilled  for the new spring season to begin.