An Interview With Ava Breuning, Cast Member of Anastasia

Broadway

In the past, I’ve interviewed a member of the pit orchestra for the LHS Barnstormers Drama Club Spring Musical, Anastasia. As a member of the cast and a writer for the Lakewood Times, I thought it would be fun to interview one of the amazing members of the cast. This is an interview with Ava Breuning who will be seen in Anastasia as the character Anya.

How long have you been doing theatre?

I’ve been doing theatre for about seven years, since like sixth grade.

What was the first show you were ever in?

My first show was in 6th grade, it was the play the adventures of rose red. It was about snow whites sister, and then there were like other fairy tale characters in it like cinderella, I don’t really remember anything about it, I just remember I was some random villager who had a frog.

What is your favorite show that you’ve been in?

Last year I was in songs for a new world and that was a super fun show. It isn’t your typical musical with a main plot. instead, there were a bunch of songs that had separate plots and they all shared a common theme between them. I sang the man 1 part in On the Deck of a “Sailing Ship” and “The Flagmaker” as well as all of the group songs. I really loved performing in it because it was so different from any other show I have been in. It was more abstract and we used a lot of dancing to convey the story. Again, it was just very different and I loved being able to be very expressive through the dances while also singing. It’s definitely a show that I could be in like 500 times and I wouldn’t get sick of it because there is just so much you can do with it.

Thank you to Ava Breuning for taking the time to answer my questions. Please come see me, Ava, and other extremely talented people in Anastasia; March 9th through the 11th at 7.30 p.m.