Ride-Along With a Police Officer for a Day

Lakewood High School is offering a great opportunity for students! The Lakewood Police Department will be hosting a Lakewood Citizens Police Academy in January. It will be a nine-week program, typically for residents 21 and older, to see what it’s like to be an officer in our community. The program will be from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays starting on Jan. 10, 2024.

While individuals under 21 are typically not admitted to the program, Police Chief Fischer is allowing one student from St. Ed’s and one student from Lakewood High School to attend. This is a great opportunity for students to learn the things they will need to know if they have an interest in pursuing a law enforcement career.

When a student is chosen, they will need a permission slip signed, but they should also be ready to attend all nine weeks of learning. Interested students should write a short essay about why they feel this experience will benefit them in a way that helps their potential future careers. Students must submit these essays by Dec. 1, 2023, to this email address: [email protected]