Lakewood Girl’s Basketball vs. Rocky River

The lady Rangers suffered a tough loss on Wednesday night against the visiting Rocky River Pirates. The tight game ended in overtime with a 41-37 loss in favor of the Pirates. The Rangers played well for all four quarters but the smothering defense by Rocky River and the small bench due to injury by Lakewood led to the Ranger’s loss.

Lakewood started off hot shooting from the field hitting 4 consecutive threes to end the first quarter. The Pirates settled in and made a run at the end of the second quarter. At the end of the first half, the score was 20-21 with Rocky River in the lead. Coming out of halftime, the battle continued with intensity from both sides. Lakewood was down at the start of the final quarter but was able to come back and tie the game. In overtime, missed foul shots from the Rangers and a clutch layup from a Rocky River guard sealed the victory for the Pirates.

Two players for Lakewood that stood out in the contest were senior Annette Doren and junior Delaney Garcia. Down low, Delaney came up big for the Rangers getting stops on defense and had many offensive rebounds leading to second-chance shots. Annette Doren hit two huge 3’s for the Rangers and her ball pressure disrupted the Pirate’s offense. One standout player for Rocky River was junior Ava Patti. The small forward’s inside presence and defense were key to the victory for the Pirates.
    The Ranger’s next game is Sat. December 3 at Parma High School at 12:30 p.m.