Government Likely to Not Shutdown Once Again

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump’s overview of the budget priorities for Fiscal Year 2018 are displayed at the U.S. Government Publishing Office (GPO) on its release by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) in Washington, U.S. on March 16, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts/File Photo

With recent negotiations surrounding the proposed United States budget for the national funding plan that will last until September of this year, several stalemates within both the House and Senate Appropriations Committees have arisen and brought about the potential for a second government shutdown to occur within a period past four years.

The debate over the proposed appropriations bill, which will need to agreed upon and passed by midnight on Friday, April 28th, is rooted within disagreements surrounding funding Trump’s infamous border-wall between Mexico and the United States and how much in subsidies will be afforded to the Affordable Care Act, better known as “Obamacare.” Though the proposed funding areas are ones of notable partisan tensions, largely, as many news providers such as CNN and NPR have reported out the past few days, this shutdown is one that both congressional Democrats and Republicans are seeking to avoid.

Rogue tack-ons to the funding bill proposed by the president via Twitter earlier this week however have made the finalizing and debate over the tenets of the funding bill difficult to achieve within each house’s respective Appropriations Committees. The recent taxation proposals of the Trump administration released to the public on Wednesday as well have manifested other obstacles to the passage of the bill as well.

To avoid the potential shutdown, which would begin early Saturday morning if it were to occur, lawmakers have begun proposing a potential one week extension to the Friday night deadline so as to allow ample time for debate and tying up of any loose ends contained within the bill.