The Winter Olympics 2018

With the Winter Olympics just around the corner, this year it is being hosted in PyeongChang, the Republic of Korea (South Korea). This has raised many concerns considering the distance it is to North Korean. But we are putting those concerns aside and hoping for the best success for our country during the events this year.

The games will begin on Thursday, February 8th, the opening ceremonies will happen the next day February 9th, and the closing ceremonies will be happening two and half weeks later on Sunday, February 25th. The Olympics will be broadcasted on the NBC network, as well as USA, NBCSN, and CNBC.  Coming into the Olympics  you have an option of 15 sports to watch.

These are categorized into three categories 1.  ice sports 2. alpine, skiing, snowboarding events (basically slope sports) and 3. nordic events (EX: ski jumping and cross-country skiing). There has been a total of four new events that have been added to the Winter Olympics sports line-up; these consist of big air snowboarding, free style skiing, mass start speed skating, and mixed doubles curling.

Leading this year with a total of 102 metals available to win. According to self.com these are the nine Team USA winter athletes that you should keep your eye on:

1. Mikaela Shiffrin– Skier
    2. Jamie Anderson — Snowboarder
    3. Gus Kenworthy– Skier
    4. Chloe Kim– Snowboarder
    5. Lindsey Vonn– Skier
    6. Nathan Chen– Figure Skater
    7. Elana Meyers Taylor– Bobsledder
    8. Maddie Bowman– Skier
    9. Alex and Maia Shibutani– Ice Dancer

Those who enjoy the thrill of competition and winter sporting events should take a look at this years Winter Olympics because the next one will not be occurring until 2022. So…. watch it will you can ladies and gentlemen.