Teen Reports High School Would Not Allow Her to Wear a ‘MAGA’ Hat

A local California teen got up and began to get ready for her school day, as she would any normal day, and decided to wear a “Make America Great Again” hat. She arrived at school and was quickly told she was not allowed to wear the hat because of the dress code at the school.

Clovis North High School senior Maddie Mueller decided to wear a hat that showed off President Trump’s campaign slogan. She wore the hat upon request from a conservative activist group, Valley Patriots, that she is apart of KCBS-TV reported.

Mueller claimed that what the school did violated her first amendment rights. She asked how “being a patriot in trying to show pride in your country” is considered to be “inappropriate.” Lakewood High School senior Kelsey Saxton said “I think it is unacceptable that the student was told she was not able to wear her hat and it is wrong that they violated her first amendment rights and were able to get away with it.”

“It’s unfortunate that our dress code is being misrepresented as specifically singling out a “MAGA” hat as that is not what the school policy says,” Chief Communication Officer Kelly Avants stated. The districts dress code has been around for decades. It has general guidelines on what students are and are not able to wear to help foster a “learning environment free from distraction and that promotes a safe and welcoming environment on campus,” Avants claimed. She went on to say “The district dress code allows for students to wear shirts or other clothing with a wide variety of sayings and/or political commentary. Unless causing an actual distraction, MAGA clothing is acceptable, and this has been shared with the student.”