Casey Affleck has pulled out of the Oscars, and will not present the award for best actress Sunday night. This recent withdrawal happened in mists of sexual assault accusations.
It is a tradition for the best actor of the previous year to present the award for best actress, with Affleck winning last year with his role in “Manchester By the Sea.” His representative called CNN January 25, so Affleck will not be giving the Award to either Sally Hawkins, Frances McDormand, Margot Robbie, Saoirse Ronan, or Meryl Streep. Affleck said on the issue that he “did not want to become a distraction from the focus that should be on the performances of the actresses in the category,” and that he “was in a no-win situation, with all the attention surrounding the #metoo movement.”
In a time were sexual assault accusations are flying around Hollywood—with Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Matt Lauer, Louis C.K., and Charlie Rose being a few examples— Affleck’s accusations aren’t exactly surprising. Affleck was sued in 2010 for sexual assault by two woman during the filming on “I’m Still Here.” Affleck told the New York times during the case, “It was settled to the satisfaction of all. I was hurt and upset. I am sure all were but I am over it. It was an unfortunate situation—mostly for the innocent bystanders of the families of those involved.”
CNN asked the academy running the show their opinion on the issue, them saying, “”we appreciate the decision to keep the focus on the show and on the great work of this year.”